Skip to main content

A Reason for Handwriting

We have really enjoyed the A REASON FOR HANDWRITING series.
The things I really like about this, is that the Kindergarten/beginning level uses mostly animals for their themes for each letter. In the lesson book, they give a brief introduction to each animal. A bit on the climate or area it lives, what it eats, what type of animal it is, about their family groups and babies. It is something all the little ones have enjoyed. We have made animal notebooks/books with these after. I believe all the lowercase letters are animals, and then most of the uppercase animals are animals. A few of the uppercase animals are things like rainbows and I think quarts was another one. However they still have a fun introduction to each of these. I also love that they are scripture based. The introductions to the animals, usually have something in them about how wonderful God is to do such great things for the animals. If not, you can usually add it!! Also once they pass the beginning level, they are writing scriptures. It does use the NIV of the Bible. Since we don't use that version of the Bible, that is one setback to it. However The meanings are still there. I also think that it's better for the kids to be writing something with some meaning, rather than off the wall sentences! The lessons are prepared so you do 4 lessons of practicing letters and words. These words and letters are then used in the scripture that is copied, on day 5. The copywork is also done on nice, notebook type paper. So the kids can look through and chose one and then color it. We do coloring as our day 6, sort of like a day off from handwriting.
Now when I was on their website, I noticed they do a few other A REASON FOR.....books. It looked like they had spelling, science and one more I believe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Morning Devotional..hopefully with more clarity!

I received a comment/question about our devotional time, Tracy would like me to give more details about our devotional time. {WARNING~ this post has become extremely LONG!!!} First off before I start into all that I'd just like to say I am so glad Tracy decided to comment, and especially with a question!! The main and only reason I blog is to inspire others, help others, and well sometimes it's as close as I get to adult conversation! I noticed that as of right now {as I right this} I have had 787 visitors to my blog... and only 2 people who have commented! The other one is my O' So kind SIL!! Please feel free to comment...because as it says on the Right Sidebar...I LOVE Comments!!! I also want to clarify and answer any questions that I might have stirred in your heads with my thoughts!!! So on with the Question.... We have ALWAYS had devotional time... it's changed and grown with our family. It's what we, Papa Bear and I see as the things our children need. Just be...

Simple Morning Time Geography, for the whole family.....

In our Morning Time we will be reading some fun and educational picture books to begin our family geography lessons. Yes I'm just starting this now, in March.... sometimes that happens. We've been studying geography in both our Good and the Beautiful Language Arts, and also our Mystery of History Lessons, so I don't actually feel bad about this! First up, for our World Geography.  I decided to start with a general world geography book. I chose  Somewhere in the World Right Now by Stacey Schuett.  This book is alot of fun. It discusses different geographical areas, showing some amazing pictures. It mostly talks about the time zones and international date line. I thought that would be a nice introduction, and something we haven't really discussed a lot. We started our week off with this beauty, on Monday. After we finished our morning time, and headed to our school room. You see, we meet on our couches, in our family room for a lot ...

I am JUMPING OFF THE SHIP!!! So to speak...

What does that mean!??! What ship are you jumping from? Where are you jumping to? How are you planning on jumping?? Well let me tell you.... I am jumping into the great deep, dark and "unknown" world, I am planning on jumping Titanic style, Spread Eagle that is!!! No seriously folks, I have decided that for our upcoming curriculum, we are going to jump into the area of {dare I even say it??} Traditional Christian TEXTBOOKS!!!! {I can hear you all moan, and groan and say OH NO!!!!} Yes TEXTBOOK, tends to be a "bad" word in the homeschool world. It's one of those 3-letter words, okay so it's actually an Eight-letter word. I am not sure why TEXTBOOKS have such a bad name to homeschoolers. Actually I do, it has to do with the dumbing down of America. It has to do with short tidbits of information crammed into a lesson, bits and pieces of history... never knowing the whole thing. HOWEVER, you must also admit, that there are NOW so many choices in TEXTBO...