Skip to main content

Our Family Store~ First try!

We did our first run with our family money and family store. It didn't go quite like I thought, but it was our first shopping experience! I thought a few of the older A's would want to save some money for later, but the thrill of the first time shopping got to everyone! I am sure over time, it will wear off and the A's will start saving.
Here's the details.
I made all our Mommy Money, worth 1/2 of the current US currency. So if I purchased something for $1 in the store, it is $2 in our family store. Also if the A's want their Mommy money exchanged for US Currency, it is worth 1/2 the value. My reasoning for that is, this way I can "control" what they want, in some respects. If it's something they truly want, but I feel is a waste of money, then it will only take that much more self discipline on their part to get it! So for the last 2 weeks the largest amount of Mommy Dollars given out was $4.80, so as you can see it's not going to break the bank. For each point the A's get 5 cents. Also our family store has a 5% tax. I am doing all these to help it seem like a real store!
So you want to know the best seller of the day?
Drum Roll Please..... some scratch foil kits I purchased. They are pre-printed black papers with foil {gold and silver colored} under. You scratch off the black to make the color show through.
As for the other enticing items in the store:
packages of gum at $2, sidewalk chalk at $1, Rainbow scratch sticker pages 1 for $1 or 2 for $2, Origami kit for $8, doll clothes for $14, Magnetics sets for $14, a blow dart gun for $40, extra blow darts are $12. Yes some of these are not your typical family store deals! I found a box of leftover presents from last Christmas I had forgotten about, and figured hey let's add it to our Family Store!!!
I will also be adding things like computer time, TV/Movie time, Late Night, Camping Out etc. Within restrictions, they will be granted as asked!
I also always look for deals, activities and such to add. I will not add things right after I purchase them, I will stock our store as it needs it.
As for my littlest A's I have a new idea up my sleeve for them. It's a mix of a few other ideas I've read about. I will post on this later!

Comments

  1. Hi Melinda,
    My name is Shelly. I found your blog link on a comment left on the davis county homeschoolers yahoo group. I really liked whatever comment it was so I clicked over to your blog. Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm a mom of 3 littles. My oldest is 6 and just started homeschooling. I've really enjoyed your chores posts. Thanks again for all the great advice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di

and that's why we don't eat sugar.....

Winter/Seasons/Snowflake Bentley Unit

I am preparing, gathering and getting ready to begin {again} our unit with the littler A's about Seasons/Winter/Snowflake Bentley and Balto! I haven't gotten anything yet on Balto, he's later into our unit, so I am not there yet!! We started it the day I purchased it, I was so excited to do it!!! However I decided I better take a few moments and plan what we will be doing!!! SLOW DOWN!! I just wanted to put a few links here I have found. Since I believe in giving credit, where credit is due.... I will link you directly to the posts I stole, or I mean took my ideas from! {someone help, I forgot how to cross out words on my blog??!!??} I started with this, Download and Go Winter Wonders We are planning on extending these to the max!! Some days, might go 2-3 days, some might go a week or more. Alot will depend on the kids, and my ability! Then I found some more fun ideas Spell Out Loud, is doing the same download and go activities, and she has some wonderful links, mostly for