Skip to main content

Field Trip~ National Oregon-California Trail Center

We recently toured the National Oregon~California Trail Center, in Montpelier Idaho. If you are local to Montpelier, or are willing to travel 2 hours to get there, you should!
Here's a few highlights:



In the basement they have a collections of Historical Artifacts. If you can believe it this Phonograph still works. The lady played it for us.


Here is a demonstration by one of the tours employees, and her granddaughter. She was teaching us about how they could use old wagon wheels to make woven rugs. They also spoke about the beautiful quilts that were made.


Can you see that "machine" on top of the wagon wheel? This is one way that the pioneers could count their daily mileage. They said that the original way was with the rag tied to the wheel, a young child would walk next to the wheel on the wagon and count it's rotations, by counting how many times the rag went around... nothing like car sickness... or I guess walking sickness!! Then Orson Pratt, a Mormon Pioneer invented the mileage tracking instrument that is above the wheel.

Here we are in the "storehouse" learning about, discussing the best provisions to take, and why.

Here we are getting our wagons loaded and prepared, with our wagon master.

Before we leave, everyone 12 and older must have a gun! A1 was thrilled, A4 a little bummed!


This is the gun shop, where they would make the guns.

At this Museum, they have people who dress up and act the character's parts. It is very kid friendly, and a great place. They also have a wagon ride, that is an actual ride, not of a real wagon. It moves and feels like a real wagon. While in it, there is a recording of journal entries. The younger children were a bit unsure of this, it's dark, and even when they put a light on as the sun, inside the wagons they are still dark. Plus it moves!! It was very realistic. A few times I felt I might fall right through, with the pulling up on the front of the wagon and the falling backwards from the back of the wagon.
Now if that wan't enough, I'll post about what we did when we got home!
Nothing like an eventful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di

and that's why we don't eat sugar.....

Winter/Seasons/Snowflake Bentley Unit

I am preparing, gathering and getting ready to begin {again} our unit with the littler A's about Seasons/Winter/Snowflake Bentley and Balto! I haven't gotten anything yet on Balto, he's later into our unit, so I am not there yet!! We started it the day I purchased it, I was so excited to do it!!! However I decided I better take a few moments and plan what we will be doing!!! SLOW DOWN!! I just wanted to put a few links here I have found. Since I believe in giving credit, where credit is due.... I will link you directly to the posts I stole, or I mean took my ideas from! {someone help, I forgot how to cross out words on my blog??!!??} I started with this, Download and Go Winter Wonders We are planning on extending these to the max!! Some days, might go 2-3 days, some might go a week or more. Alot will depend on the kids, and my ability! Then I found some more fun ideas Spell Out Loud, is doing the same download and go activities, and she has some wonderful links, mostly for