Skip to main content

a thought on word studies....



Yesterday I attended an awesome mentor training retreat, put on by some of the most inspiring minds I want to know!!!! Seriously!!! One thing we did was learn about word studies. Which I've know about, the how to's, the why's..... but never really have implemented them, other than my oldest did them for a while, years ago! However she had a do a word study on the word EDUCATION. So for those of you that don't know about a word study, I will give you the very simplified definition. I am sure you can get great outlines and how to's else where. Basically you take a word, like EDUCATION. Look it up in the Webster's 1828 dictionary.  fun idea is to also look it up in a current dictionary, to compare and contrast! Then Look up interesting quotes and words of wisdom from religious leaders or other wise people. Look up scriptures that relate to the word. Then reason and evaluate and come up with a personal definition. I added to mine to also look up the word in the Bible Dictionary. Something I found interesting is that in the Bible Dictionary for the word EDUCATION it says,
The divine law impressed upon parents the duty of teaching their children it's precepts and principles.
Here's a few ideas that struct me:

The divine law
Impressed on the parents
The DUTY to teach

WOW!!!! I am not going to give you all the knowledge I gained from this word study, because that's mine..... and well you need to do it for yourself, and make it yours. However I HIGHLY Recommend you do this too.
Also while you are at it, research word studies~ the how's, why's and meaning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Morning Devotional..hopefully with more clarity!

I received a comment/question about our devotional time, Tracy would like me to give more details about our devotional time. {WARNING~ this post has become extremely LONG!!!} First off before I start into all that I'd just like to say I am so glad Tracy decided to comment, and especially with a question!! The main and only reason I blog is to inspire others, help others, and well sometimes it's as close as I get to adult conversation! I noticed that as of right now {as I right this} I have had 787 visitors to my blog... and only 2 people who have commented! The other one is my O' So kind SIL!! Please feel free to comment...because as it says on the Right Sidebar...I LOVE Comments!!! I also want to clarify and answer any questions that I might have stirred in your heads with my thoughts!!! So on with the Question.... We have ALWAYS had devotional time... it's changed and grown with our family. It's what we, Papa Bear and I see as the things our children need. Just be...

Simple Morning Time Geography, for the whole family.....

In our Morning Time we will be reading some fun and educational picture books to begin our family geography lessons. Yes I'm just starting this now, in March.... sometimes that happens. We've been studying geography in both our Good and the Beautiful Language Arts, and also our Mystery of History Lessons, so I don't actually feel bad about this! First up, for our World Geography.  I decided to start with a general world geography book. I chose  Somewhere in the World Right Now by Stacey Schuett.  This book is alot of fun. It discusses different geographical areas, showing some amazing pictures. It mostly talks about the time zones and international date line. I thought that would be a nice introduction, and something we haven't really discussed a lot. We started our week off with this beauty, on Monday. After we finished our morning time, and headed to our school room. You see, we meet on our couches, in our family room for a lot ...

I am JUMPING OFF THE SHIP!!! So to speak...

What does that mean!??! What ship are you jumping from? Where are you jumping to? How are you planning on jumping?? Well let me tell you.... I am jumping into the great deep, dark and "unknown" world, I am planning on jumping Titanic style, Spread Eagle that is!!! No seriously folks, I have decided that for our upcoming curriculum, we are going to jump into the area of {dare I even say it??} Traditional Christian TEXTBOOKS!!!! {I can hear you all moan, and groan and say OH NO!!!!} Yes TEXTBOOK, tends to be a "bad" word in the homeschool world. It's one of those 3-letter words, okay so it's actually an Eight-letter word. I am not sure why TEXTBOOKS have such a bad name to homeschoolers. Actually I do, it has to do with the dumbing down of America. It has to do with short tidbits of information crammed into a lesson, bits and pieces of history... never knowing the whole thing. HOWEVER, you must also admit, that there are NOW so many choices in TEXTBO...