Skip to main content

It's a frightening fact.... everything good or bad, is absorbed.

I have been reading Nurtured by love, by Suzuki, yes just started it! I was hit by this statement in the book:

"It is a frightening fact. By no means only words or music, but everything good or bad, is absorbed."

 
This is in his book, page 16 under the subtitle of The baby's body brims over with joy. In the story there is a gathering of families who are all learning violin by Suzuki, members of Talent Education, as he named it. This story is about one family in particular. His student is a six year old girl. She has been learning to play Vivaldi A-minor concerto. She practices it many times daily, along with listens to the music daily. She has an infant sister, age 5 months, who has also grown up on listening to the violin, and especially this specific piece of music. After the children preform, Suzuki stands to play a piece, and preform an experiment too! He begins playing Bach, and studies the baby the whole time he plays. The baby is well acquainted with the sound of the violin. He can see it in her face, the recognition of the sounds. She is intrigued as this is probably not a tune familiar to her. Then he switched to play Vivaldi A-minor concerto- the piece her sister had been playing and listening to daily. Almost instantly the baby's expression and attitude changes. She starts getting excited, she looks at her mother, with a look that almost says, "this is MY song!" The baby starts moving up and down to the rhythm, and her body and facial expressions scream that she is familiar with this song!
"In this way inspiration and interest are acquired involuntarily by an infant from everything he sees and hears, like a seed that is planted. This is what molds, forms, the character. That, I thought, was clear from what I had seen. It is a frightening fact. By no means only words or music, but everything good or bad, is absorbed.
 
I am sure most all parents have witnessed such an experience. Whether it's a cartoon character, or "that" commercial that was played during the show. Whether it was the loving words spoken to your child, or that one mean thing that you happened to say.
EVERYTHING our children are exposed to, becomes part of them. Those memories are stored away, and that is what shapes or children!
I'm definitely not saying that people can't change, or break the mold or decide they don't want that in their lives anymore~ ~ ~ but what I am saying is that until that moment comes, if it comes, to break the mold, that is what shapes our children.
So we must choose wisely, and truly think about every action, thought, and word that might come along. Everything that might become a part of that child!
We must plant good seeds, and nurture them- with LOVE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Morning Devotional..hopefully with more clarity!

I received a comment/question about our devotional time, Tracy would like me to give more details about our devotional time. {WARNING~ this post has become extremely LONG!!!} First off before I start into all that I'd just like to say I am so glad Tracy decided to comment, and especially with a question!! The main and only reason I blog is to inspire others, help others, and well sometimes it's as close as I get to adult conversation! I noticed that as of right now {as I right this} I have had 787 visitors to my blog... and only 2 people who have commented! The other one is my O' So kind SIL!! Please feel free to comment...because as it says on the Right Sidebar...I LOVE Comments!!! I also want to clarify and answer any questions that I might have stirred in your heads with my thoughts!!! So on with the Question.... We have ALWAYS had devotional time... it's changed and grown with our family. It's what we, Papa Bear and I see as the things our children need. Just be...

Simple Morning Time Geography, for the whole family.....

In our Morning Time we will be reading some fun and educational picture books to begin our family geography lessons. Yes I'm just starting this now, in March.... sometimes that happens. We've been studying geography in both our Good and the Beautiful Language Arts, and also our Mystery of History Lessons, so I don't actually feel bad about this! First up, for our World Geography.  I decided to start with a general world geography book. I chose  Somewhere in the World Right Now by Stacey Schuett.  This book is alot of fun. It discusses different geographical areas, showing some amazing pictures. It mostly talks about the time zones and international date line. I thought that would be a nice introduction, and something we haven't really discussed a lot. We started our week off with this beauty, on Monday. After we finished our morning time, and headed to our school room. You see, we meet on our couches, in our family room for a lot ...

I am JUMPING OFF THE SHIP!!! So to speak...

What does that mean!??! What ship are you jumping from? Where are you jumping to? How are you planning on jumping?? Well let me tell you.... I am jumping into the great deep, dark and "unknown" world, I am planning on jumping Titanic style, Spread Eagle that is!!! No seriously folks, I have decided that for our upcoming curriculum, we are going to jump into the area of {dare I even say it??} Traditional Christian TEXTBOOKS!!!! {I can hear you all moan, and groan and say OH NO!!!!} Yes TEXTBOOK, tends to be a "bad" word in the homeschool world. It's one of those 3-letter words, okay so it's actually an Eight-letter word. I am not sure why TEXTBOOKS have such a bad name to homeschoolers. Actually I do, it has to do with the dumbing down of America. It has to do with short tidbits of information crammed into a lesson, bits and pieces of history... never knowing the whole thing. HOWEVER, you must also admit, that there are NOW so many choices in TEXTBO...