Skip to main content

Simple Morning Time Geography, for the whole family.....

In our Morning Time we will be reading some fun and educational picture books to begin our family geography lessons. Yes I'm just starting this now, in March.... sometimes that happens. We've been studying geography in both our Good and the Beautiful Language Arts, and also our Mystery of History Lessons, so I don't actually feel bad about this!

First up, for our World Geography.

 I decided to start with a general world geography book.
I chose

 Somewhere in the World Right Now
by Stacey Schuett. 


This book is alot of fun. It discusses different geographical areas, showing some amazing pictures. It mostly talks about the time zones and international date line. I thought that would be a nice introduction, and something we haven't really discussed a lot.













We started our week off with this beauty, on Monday.

After we finished our morning time, and headed to our school room. You see, we meet on our couches, in our family room for a lot of our morning time, especially our readings. It's simply more comfortable.
Once we get to our school room, I give everyone 1 minute to "study" the map of Europe, answer key. Then we do a one minute map drill of Europe.

I used the first 2 maps on this site.

I put them both in 1 plastic page protector, with 1 showing on each side. So they flip it to look at the answers. During the "study" time I sit with my 8 and 7 year olds, and we study together. I just focus on one area, a couple countries, until they know it well.





Next Up, USA Geography

Again I thought we should begin with a general American Geography Book, something to just hit on the United States as an area.
For this I chose

A is for America book
by Devin Scillian

sleeping bear press book.
I love these books, and will be incorporating them into our USA geography lessons.





This is planned for our Wednesday Morning Time Loop.
I am excited to share these beautiful books with my children each week.


I printed these maps for our timed USA States drills. These are done the same way as our European Map drills, described above.


My original plan was to do one picture book for a European Country a week, and 1 State a month.

I plan on using the sleeping bear press books for our USA studies, and these lend well to reading the same book for a month. I plan to read the entire book each week, then read the side notes and facts a couple letters a week to finish it by the end of the month. The amount of letters will depend on the amount of information per letter.

 I don't feel my original plan will work for the European Countries.  I feel a different picture book a week, for a European Country may get a bit overwhelming. I may try to find a fun European Atlas, or book about Europe in general, to read. I know there are many choices for that. I just need to spend some time looking.

and that's it folks....
our morning time, geography lessons. I will plan on sharing the books I use each month, most likely on my instagram account. So if you don't follow me there, go do it now!!! You don't want to miss the treasures I have, and hope to find!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di

and that's why we don't eat sugar.....

Homemade bread for our large family

making bread has been a huge part of my life as a mother... here’s the problem, don’t start making homemade bread, unless you plan on doing it forever!!! Once you eat homemade bread, it’s didficult to eat store brought breads!!! Even some of the nicest, most expensive, they just seem so dry and bland.  That being said, I can make all our bread for our family of 11 (currently in the house) in about 15 minutes! (Not including the rise and bake time) I usually make it on the weekend, and then again around Wednesday or Thursday each week. Whenever I make it, I incorporate it into our dinner that night. Usually making 3 or 4  loaves of bread and 1 pan of rolls- for dinner. You see if you don’t do that, you’ll end up eating all of it the first night, right!!! No one can resist hot, fresh, homemade bread- especially with melted butter!!! 💖 So here’s the recipe, I know you’re all dying to have!  This should make about 5 loaves of bread, or a mix of bread and rolls  6 cu