Skip to main content

extending the life of our workbooks...

When you are homeschooling a Houseful, you definitely need to extend the life of everything you possibly can!
We do not write in any textbooks or workbooks. We use simple notebooks for some of our text...like our math textbooks. I do this to have a record of their math, for reference.
For things I don't really want to use the paper for we simply use the see through page protectors.
I use to give each of the children a page protector to use. However it easily gets bent when put away, not cleaned off good, lost...whatever. So I came up with a new plan...
I am ripping apart all of our workbooks...
YES you heard me right..the teacher is ripping the workbooks!!!!
Then I am putting them in smaller binders, inside the page protectors. This also helps extend their life..making them hard covered, not so easy to bend. The kids can pull down the workbook they need in the binder {with a label on the side stating what's in it...Explode the Code 3 for example} They open the binder to the page they were on, do the page, and wipe it clean! Simple as that.
To help us stay on track as to what page everyone is on, each child has a separate colored sticky note that is moved each day. Then if we have two kids in one workbook...it's easy to find where you were at. They use a wipe off marker..leave it for me to correct or look over, whichever is needed. I then have them record their scores, make changes/corrections, and discuss the page as needed with them. Then they wipe it off, {infront of me usually!!!} and return it to it's home on our shelf.
I do this to everything I possibly can!! I have preschool books, you know the types...follow the path from the bunny to feed him his carrot!! The first time I thought of this, was when I purchased a really cute and way too expensive preschool workbook {I couldn't resist it} I then took out the staples, and took it to town to laminate it. Yes it worked great. We have used and reused this workbook for years. Yes I could also purchase a nice laminator {that's on the to do list!} However I really like the page protectors. I can pull out a page, I can leave it together, I can put them in workboxes. If a page doesn't get cleaned good and becomes...well....nasty. I can simply pull out the original page and put it in a new page protector, and then we can move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di

and that's why we don't eat sugar.....

Winter/Seasons/Snowflake Bentley Unit

I am preparing, gathering and getting ready to begin {again} our unit with the littler A's about Seasons/Winter/Snowflake Bentley and Balto! I haven't gotten anything yet on Balto, he's later into our unit, so I am not there yet!! We started it the day I purchased it, I was so excited to do it!!! However I decided I better take a few moments and plan what we will be doing!!! SLOW DOWN!! I just wanted to put a few links here I have found. Since I believe in giving credit, where credit is due.... I will link you directly to the posts I stole, or I mean took my ideas from! {someone help, I forgot how to cross out words on my blog??!!??} I started with this, Download and Go Winter Wonders We are planning on extending these to the max!! Some days, might go 2-3 days, some might go a week or more. Alot will depend on the kids, and my ability! Then I found some more fun ideas Spell Out Loud, is doing the same download and go activities, and she has some wonderful links, mostly for