Skip to main content

Blueberry Muffins, turned into a cake.....


I wanted, or was craving blueberry muffins today. They just sounded great! I looked up a recipe for blueberry muffins and started making them. Well then it occurred to me, that I don't have muffin tins anymore. They were aluminum, so I put them in the learning room to use with the younger A's....hmmm we we can make it a blueberry muffin cake, and we did. And it was GREAT!!

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour {I just used regular whole wheat flour, and it was yummy}
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed or fresh blueberries {I missed the "or" in the original recipe and used both, it turned out wonderful}
3/4 cup organic cane sugar and golden syrup {or any natural sweeteners you prefer}
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter or coconut oil, melted – or replace with half applesauce, as desired {or you can do it like I did with coconut cream.}


Topping, optional:

2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter {again I used coconut cream}
1/4 cup sweetener, optional {I used cane sugar and golden syrup}

I doubled this to make 1 9X11 glass cake pan. I also forgot to lightly grease, and it came out wonderfully.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.

In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full (Definitely fill all 12, otherwise they will overflow).
Optional: In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup sweeteners, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins. I normally just sprinkle with cinnamon and a little sweetener.

Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Blueberry Variation: Replace bananas with 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries and 3/4 cup applesauce. Yum!

For my cake, I ended up cooking it for around 25-30 minutes, but the middle was a little undercooked, I should have went a bit longer.
Enjoy I know we did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di

Homemade bread for our large family

making bread has been a huge part of my life as a mother... here’s the problem, don’t start making homemade bread, unless you plan on doing it forever!!! Once you eat homemade bread, it’s didficult to eat store brought breads!!! Even some of the nicest, most expensive, they just seem so dry and bland.  That being said, I can make all our bread for our family of 11 (currently in the house) in about 15 minutes! (Not including the rise and bake time) I usually make it on the weekend, and then again around Wednesday or Thursday each week. Whenever I make it, I incorporate it into our dinner that night. Usually making 3 or 4  loaves of bread and 1 pan of rolls- for dinner. You see if you don’t do that, you’ll end up eating all of it the first night, right!!! No one can resist hot, fresh, homemade bread- especially with melted butter!!! 💖 So here’s the recipe, I know you’re all dying to have!  This should make about 5 loaves of bread, or a mix of bread and rolls  6 cu

and that's why we don't eat sugar.....