Skip to main content

Our Chores System, and Re-evaluation

I thought I'd talk again a bit about chores. We are loving the Mommy Store, I think over time the point I am trying to make with it, will come, or not!! I have a few A's who are catching on that even on a REALLY REALLY Good week, they are having a hard time earning more than $3-$4 Mommy Dollars. They are also catching on that Mommies Store is a bit pricey, when you consider the items and the hourly income around here. I think it is becoming a success. A few things that I have changed/added/or in some cases re-evaluated.

~1 we are currently doing our Chore Points, right after breakfast and just before animal duty time. So each morning, just after breakfast and during our tidy up time, I stand next to our white board...usually starting with A1 and working my way down, I ask about chores, and discuss it. We do the points for yesterday, then..along with that day's Morning Chores. I am filling in to days slots, but it seems to work better this way.

2~ the points didn't work very well for my littlest A's. I found some pretty jars and put A5 & A6's names on them {simply with cute letter stickers} I also found some fuzzies {pom-poms with sparkles} Each morning I discuss the younger A's attitudes, if they helped with chores, and if they did what was needed. I also give each of them a fuzzy if they are quiet during our morning school time, and if I feel that a positive reinforcement is needed right then. If say, A5 usually always cries or complains when asked to do a specific chore, and at this one time she doesn't I will reward her. Sometimes with a bean sometimes with a fuzzy.

3~ hence the name of the post....re-evaluating our chore system. The A's have spoken!!! We have decided to change our rotation, so each A will be in charge of a main area, "HOT SPOT" each day, they will do the same chore, same area. Yes I believe the drudgery of chores is just as important as doing the chores. See if I had a choice, I'd never choose to fold the laundry, or wash the dishes, and I'd never clean my bathroom. I will be making each A a list of the area, along with what I expect, the things they need to look at each day. Almost a checklist to follow. Then they will still rotate certain chores. Things like Dust, Outside Duty, weekly chores {this is a fancy name for things I notice that need to be cleaned, mostly dirty finger prints everywhere}
The reason I always hated that idea, was/is that I want the A's to know how to clean everywhere and anything. Though it is super nice that they will learn what to do in one area, and do a really good job at it. Then every year or so we will switch chores around. I think it will still work out nicely.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Chores are always a hard area to tackle. A friend gave me a great suggestion to post a picture of what the finished task looks like. I haven't tried it with mine, yet, but she swears by it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di

Homemade bread for our large family

making bread has been a huge part of my life as a mother... here’s the problem, don’t start making homemade bread, unless you plan on doing it forever!!! Once you eat homemade bread, it’s didficult to eat store brought breads!!! Even some of the nicest, most expensive, they just seem so dry and bland.  That being said, I can make all our bread for our family of 11 (currently in the house) in about 15 minutes! (Not including the rise and bake time) I usually make it on the weekend, and then again around Wednesday or Thursday each week. Whenever I make it, I incorporate it into our dinner that night. Usually making 3 or 4  loaves of bread and 1 pan of rolls- for dinner. You see if you don’t do that, you’ll end up eating all of it the first night, right!!! No one can resist hot, fresh, homemade bread- especially with melted butter!!! 💖 So here’s the recipe, I know you’re all dying to have!  This should make about 5 loaves of bread, or a mix of bread and rolls  6 cu

and that's why we don't eat sugar.....