Skip to main content

Whole Wheat bread, Yummy Goodness!


I have been making homemade bread for my family, on and off {mostly on} for about 10 years or so. WOW I can't believe it's been that long!
I found this recipe, sometime in the beginning of my bread making life!! This is one tried and true, gotta love it recipe! We use it for Cinnamon rolls, regular rolls and breadsticks too. We use to use it for our pizza until I found this recipe.



4 Cups very warm water

3/4 cup oil {though out of having not enough oil, I have used less. We have used olive oil, grapeseed oil, and coconut oil in this recipe}

3/4 cup raw unfiltered honey {or just honey, but raw is so much better for you}

3 T yeast

2T sea salt

some flax, I have been adding this lately and I probably add around 4 Tablespoons or so. I just dump it in.

a HEAPING 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten (I use a large HEAPING, this helps to make the dough more elastic and chewy}

about 7-8 cups of flour.

We have used, all whole wheat, or combined our whole wheat with oatmeal or oat flour {to make oat flour, pour some oatmeal in the blender} spelt {love it, but the budget doesn't!}
I have a Bosch universal mixer, and have loved it almost the entire time I have been making bread. This recipe makes around 4 loaves, so you need a large mixer.


Put the water, oil, honey, yeast in the bowl and let sit, to bubble. Then add salt, flax, yeast and gluten. Mix slightly. Last add flour. I usually add about 5-6 cups and let it mix. Then I add more as needed. You are looking for your dough to not stick to the sides of your mixer, and start to gather together. Then I simply grab some dough and see how sticky it is. If it's super sticky, can't hardly get it off my fingers, sticky... I add more flour. You want it elastic, not sticky. Hope that makes sense! Mix for a good 7-10 minutes.
Place in greased pans, let sit out for about 30 minutes to rise. I like mine to rise just barely above the sides of the pan. It will rise more as it cooks. If you are in a hurry, you can either turn your oven on and place the pans on top of the stove the heat under will help to rise, while the oven warms. OR you can turn your oven on for a few seconds just long enough to warm the oven, turn off. Then place the pans in the oven to rise inside. Once they get to the tops of the sides of your pans, turn your oven back on to cook. Usually my bread rises quick enough, I just set it on the cupboard.

Cook on 350 for about 30-35 minutes.
We like to take one loaf out while it is still slightly doughy in the middle {slightly undercooked} We usually eat that loaf the moment it's made, and slightly doughy bread is wonderful right out of the oven. However it's not so tasty the next day, in my opinion.


We also butter the tops, usually. It's also a great treat to make some homemade butter, and use part to make honey butter for the warm bread.


Now this all being said, I came across another bread recipe, that makes 6-8 loaves at a time.... so I will be trying my hand at that one, next time to see how it compares. We currently make bread about twice a week, with the above recipe.

Enjoy!!! I know we do!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade bread for our large family

making bread has been a huge part of my life as a mother... here’s the problem, don’t start making homemade bread, unless you plan on doing it forever!!! Once you eat homemade bread, it’s didficult to eat store brought breads!!! Even some of the nicest, most expensive, they just seem so dry and bland.  That being said, I can make all our bread for our family of 11 (currently in the house) in about 15 minutes! (Not including the rise and bake time) I usually make it on the weekend, and then again around Wednesday or Thursday each week. Whenever I make it, I incorporate it into our dinner that night. Usually making 3 or 4  loaves of bread and 1 pan of rolls- for dinner. You see if you don’t do that, you’ll end up eating all of it the first night, right!!! No one can resist hot, fresh, homemade bread- especially with melted butter!!! 💖 So here’s the recipe, I know you’re all dying to have!  This should make about 5 loaves of bread, or a mix of bread and rolls  6 cu

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di

and that's why we don't eat sugar.....