Skip to main content

Yes, I can read.......

 
 
I am not a huge fan of reading!
(I know shutter with fright! Dismay! Disbelief!)
I love the idea of reading, I love watching my children read, and read. However when I typically grab a book, I have a hard time finishing it. I have a hard time concentrating on it. My mind is active and thinking of all the other things I should/could be doing.
(Funny thing is, just the other day I was speaking with Papa Bear, about this very subject. He asked if I'd read a specific book recently.  I said no, I don't really have time to read. He laughed and said, every time I see you, your reading a book, and usually a different one. Well that might be true, but the other side he doesn't know is that I rarely finish a book!)
 
This is something I am working on. I am trying to set up a specific part of my day to read, free read. We do have a 30 min block that we call religious reading right after lunch. However I typically read aloud to my 3, 4 and 6 year old boys. Then I try to throw in a 15 minute or so reading of my own.
I am slowly working thru God's Smuggler
 
We read aloud during lunch time, but this is a family classic reading.
Sometime I try to read before bed, and our scriptures, but sometimes that's not something I have energy for.
 
HOWEVER I LEARNED SOMETHING NEW ABOUT MYSELF THIS WEEK!!!!
I learned I CAN READ!!!!
 
I was considering reading Bambi to the children as their next classical read aloud. I have heard that many don't like it. I found it at the local DI (Thrift Shop) for $2 and thought well, I'll grab it and read it myself. And did I ever read it for myself! I started in on Thursday afternoon, during my daughter, CHARITY's  co-op dance class. I finished on Friday at 11:30, just before leaving for our homeschool park day and social activity!
 
Does that mean I'll read it aloud to my children, probably not! However it's one I'm fine with having on my shelf.
 
I love how descriptive the author is. You could all but "see" what you were reading.
The storyline??? Well it's very "real" And well seeing that Little House in the Big Woods had my little GALLANT, (4) up having nightmares.... this is probably not a good fit for us!
Yeah, that panther that chased Grandpa and jumped on his horse, that was too much for him. It might have to do with the neighbors cat that scared him one evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade bread for our large family

making bread has been a huge part of my life as a mother... here’s the problem, don’t start making homemade bread, unless you plan on doing it forever!!! Once you eat homemade bread, it’s didficult to eat store brought breads!!! Even some of the nicest, most expensive, they just seem so dry and bland.  That being said, I can make all our bread for our family of 11 (currently in the house) in about 15 minutes! (Not including the rise and bake time) I usually make it on the weekend, and then again around Wednesday or Thursday each week. Whenever I make it, I incorporate it into our dinner that night. Usually making 3 or 4  loaves of bread and 1 pan of rolls- for dinner. You see if you don’t do that, you’ll end up eating all of it the first night, right!!! No one can resist hot, fresh, homemade bread- especially with melted butter!!! 💖 So here’s the recipe, I know you’re all dying to have!  This should make about 5 loaves of bread, or a mix of bread and rolls  6 cu

I am JUMPING OFF THE SHIP!!! So to speak...

What does that mean!??! What ship are you jumping from? Where are you jumping to? How are you planning on jumping?? Well let me tell you.... I am jumping into the great deep, dark and "unknown" world, I am planning on jumping Titanic style, Spread Eagle that is!!! No seriously folks, I have decided that for our upcoming curriculum, we are going to jump into the area of {dare I even say it??} Traditional Christian TEXTBOOKS!!!! {I can hear you all moan, and groan and say OH NO!!!!} Yes TEXTBOOK, tends to be a "bad" word in the homeschool world. It's one of those 3-letter words, okay so it's actually an Eight-letter word. I am not sure why TEXTBOOKS have such a bad name to homeschoolers. Actually I do, it has to do with the dumbing down of America. It has to do with short tidbits of information crammed into a lesson, bits and pieces of history... never knowing the whole thing. HOWEVER, you must also admit, that there are NOW so many choices in TEXTBO

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di