Skip to main content

how we get out the door OR to the van, safely.......

How we manage to get our crew out the door!

With school starting and extra curricular activities, and Co-ops, along with regular life, we need to be able to move our crew out the door and to the van, oftentimes through a parking lot. Parking lots are dangerous, let alone one where everyone's trying to leave at the same time, such as a Co-op.

This years school crew, the kids who go places with me and are involved in these activities are ages,

15, 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, 2, and new little princess in November.
or very close to that age :)
 
Let me also just point out that the ones 7, 5, 4, and 2 are all boys!
Yes that matters! Even though some girls can be like boys, boys are still boys!
 
 
So here's what we do, let's look at our co-op, as that's one that everyone goes to, and everyone brings supplies and bags, plus Mom brings supplies for classes too.
 
 
In our Co-op we designate an area, or corner to be our dropping place. As you enter there's a large entry hallway, that leads into a large open gymnasium. There are bleachers in the gymnasium, but other than that it's a walk way and gathering area. All the classrooms are off that area. I choose to place our families things in the gymnasium area. Why? As people are coming and going, the entryway, while large, can easily get very congested. Also there are toddlers wondering around, and in a tighter area, they tend to want to explore in others things rather than run wild along the gym floor :) Also we just find a seat in the gym area to eat our lunches. So if our spot is right there, then we can meet there for lunch distribution too.
 
This year, the gymnasiums floors were refinished, so we have been asked to walk barefoot or with socks only there, so all shoes are removed too. For this, I will have a tote to put our shoes in next week. That way we don't have shoes ending up everywhere! I will also bring our youngest son slippers. He has a shoe issue, he has to wear shoes everywhere, except when we get into the van- then he's happy to take them off, go figure! I am hoping that if those slippers are only wore at co-op they will feel special, and he won't bother others shoes, or be upset that he doesn't have his on!
 
Along with backpacks and school supplies and class supplies needed throughout the day, we have to pack a lunch. My kids enjoy being able to have their own individual lunch boxes, so I've purchased them one at a local thrift shop, the DI. That way once everyone has their food, we pray as a family, and the youngers are all sitting and eating, older children can go sit with friends if they'd like to.
 
So now we've been there from 9:30-2:30 and it's time to go home. It's CRAZY!! We have over 20 families in this co-op (I believe) lots of littles and lots of children who want to run and play, and mom' who want to get home, and toddlers who are cranky and want a nap! Along with remembering to get everything and help put things away and somewhat clean up, there's a ton going on. We do have a clean up family, who we pay a small fee to stay and get everything clean.
 
Here's our plan:
My last class I teach is nursery and the nursery and younger class, ages 4-7, are having a PE time. So I am able to let the little ones run and play, and the other mom's who help teach nursery and I take turns gathering our supplies and things and cleaning up the toys in our nursery room. I gather my things to one pile, in that room. Then I play with the little boys and girls in the class. When everyone's done we meet at our spot where we keep all our things. Everyone grabs their own backpacks and lunchboxes, all the way to the little 2 year old. The two littlest boys have tiny little backpacks I found, just so they feel special! Plus they have crafts or color pages they do in class too.
Then the oldest is the youngest child's buddy, and the second oldest takes the 2 boys- ages 7 and 5. I do that because, often I have him grab something to carry too, so he can walk behind those two boys and make sure they are safe, but can hold something else in his hands too. The 12 year old takes the 4 year old, as he needs a hand still. And the 9 year old carries more things.
 
Then we LINE UP! This is one thing my homeschool kids have learned is to line up! I lead, or my oldest daughter if I will be a few more minutes. Each child walks in order of age, except for my 13 year old- he takes up the rear. So for a visual
 
15 year old with 2 year old
12 year old with 4 year old.
9 year old- who carries extra things
7 year old- who carries if needed
5 year old- who carries if needed
13 year old- who carries extra thing, and makes sure everyone stays in line.
 
They walk to the van, put their backpacks and lunch boxes in the back, put all children into the van. The two girls, ages 12 and 9 start buckling up carseats, and making sure everyone's buckled up. My 15 year old and 12 year old, head back into the building for the rest of our supplies.
 
Nice and orderly! That's how I like it!!
 
Then once we are all in, all last minute conversations are done. We close the door, and do a roll call. Yes, we roll call whenever we are leaving a group setting! Even though typically someone else notices another sibling not in the van, it's just for my own peace of mind! :)
 
Then we are off!!! Watching out for running kids!!!! :)
 
This is how we go grocery shopping as a family too. I have a cart, with 1-2 small children in it. The older children hold hands with the younger (if needed, or if they aren't in the cart) and then we line up. Only difference is that the 4 year old is right behind mom and the cart, and we line up youngest to oldest. Then we have mom leading the way, and still aware of the younger children right behind her, and the older children behind to keep the line straight and moving forward.
If we don't line up, then we look like a mob coming!!! :) Trust me it can feel overwhelming!!

And that's how we get out the door, or to the van safely!!! Hopefully some of those tips will help, as you are trying to get a crew moving in the same direction!!! I've done this with just younger children too. I buddy them up, and have them line up 2 by 2!


Comments

  1. We do "roll call" every time we get in the van, too. I find it easiest if I have all of the children with me . . . having one or two not with me means I have to check and double check that I get the correct number of responses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually when we roll call, and someone's not with me... I get odd answers like "she's on vacation, to Hawaii!" or "Just landed on the moon!!" Remember Mom, she/he didn't come!!!

      Delete
  2. Roll calls are essential :). Love looking at your plan! You were always so good at being organized...and CALM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes to organized!! and maybe to calm, too!!! :) I always have a plan, and usually one stirring in my head too!!!!!!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar, oh sugar!!!

okay so as i have stated, we don't eat sugar. This being said, we do eat natural cane {also known as turbinado} sugar, honey, stevia and agava. I do try to limit this. I figure to some degree sugar is sugar, and not good, even in it's natural state. I don't want to get into a "sugar fight" with anyone! So all I am going to say, is it's quite common knowledge that sugar isn't good for you. I am a sugar lover! Always have been, I'm sure. I have a very, very, very sweet tooth. Sugar was hard for me to give up. Which is why I am so thankful for so many natural sweeteners! The reason we stopped, was knowledge, we started studying sugar, and learning about it, and we had to stop. As for our family, we had to give it up all or nothing, we are a cold turkey kind of family!!! We have tried to give up sugar, oh I don't know around 100 times!!! This time it finally stuck. The more I read, the more I study the more I am so thankful for that decision. So how di

Homemade bread for our large family

making bread has been a huge part of my life as a mother... here’s the problem, don’t start making homemade bread, unless you plan on doing it forever!!! Once you eat homemade bread, it’s didficult to eat store brought breads!!! Even some of the nicest, most expensive, they just seem so dry and bland.  That being said, I can make all our bread for our family of 11 (currently in the house) in about 15 minutes! (Not including the rise and bake time) I usually make it on the weekend, and then again around Wednesday or Thursday each week. Whenever I make it, I incorporate it into our dinner that night. Usually making 3 or 4  loaves of bread and 1 pan of rolls- for dinner. You see if you don’t do that, you’ll end up eating all of it the first night, right!!! No one can resist hot, fresh, homemade bread- especially with melted butter!!! 💖 So here’s the recipe, I know you’re all dying to have!  This should make about 5 loaves of bread, or a mix of bread and rolls  6 cu

and that's why we don't eat sugar.....