Skip to main content

Wiggly Boys, Wiggly Boys...what to do with all those wiggly boys?

and Girls!!!

So those of you who don't know me personally don't know that I have 4 boys in a row. Ages 8, 6, 5, 4 and a toddler 20 month old girl.... who might be mistaken for a girl in a skirt! What can I say, she was raised by those 4 boys! Plus I have 2 older boys, who use to be little boys. And a couple other wiggly girls all in one house!!!

In my opinion it's fine to let them be wiggly, to let them use that energy they have, because a lot of the time they just have a ton of built up energy they need to have used!

I thought I'd collect a few tips and ideas for teaching wiggly kids.

*If you are trying to practice reading with them, and they can't sit still long enough to do a lesson, make a deal, for every page they read they will earn 2-5 minutes of "recess" or "free play" right after their lesson. This should be changed to their age and ability. So it could be page, paragraph, sentence- word or flashcard. I like to say you have to sit until the lessons done or maybe give a specific time frame, such as we will do reading for 20 minutes. Then as they get better at sitting and reading, you can adjust those times and goals. Make it a positive, you are learning so well and doing so good, I think we should set a new goal.

*Break it up! Don't expect the wiggly ones to sit for hours doing their work. Let them have a break or do something more active in between. Even the simple act of moving to a computer or to a couch will change it up for them.

*Many homeschool moms allow kids to play with blocks or quiet toys while reading aloud. I prefer not to do that, too many times those quiet toys have become loud toys during our read aloud. I like to use snack time as read aloud time. If their mouths are full, they can't really talk! I will also have kids color or draw while I read aloud.

*Make sure you are using their needs as you go through the day. If a child is really struggling with a case of the wiggles give them something they can do, actively. If they are practicing math facts, let them do it outside on the trampoline, or even walking in a circle.

*Stick to a routine. I have found my wiggly kids, do better knowing what to expect.

*Add multi-sensory tools into the mix. Play games, add activities, do hands on, act out stories, or pull out the legos and let them listen to a CD while playing. Listen to educational CD's in the car.

*Add in sneaky learning, as I like to call it. Place books out that you want the kids to read, maybe you sit down and read it one day and then leave it somewhere they can. Put maps and eduational posters in their rooms or playrooms. If someone asks a question, don't just answer it, teach it. Papa Bear has been fishing in Alaska, so in stead of just saying he's in Alaska we could find it on the map, look at some Alaska books or you tube videos. No lesson plans, just simply answering their questions!

Hope that helps, and if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I actually keep a list in my planner all about wiggly kids! Ideas or thoughts I have, things we've done that helped. It's just a simple list of ideas, because usually when they are all wiggly, I can't think straight!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade bread for our large family

making bread has been a huge part of my life as a mother... here’s the problem, don’t start making homemade bread, unless you plan on doing it forever!!! Once you eat homemade bread, it’s didficult to eat store brought breads!!! Even some of the nicest, most expensive, they just seem so dry and bland.  That being said, I can make all our bread for our family of 11 (currently in the house) in about 15 minutes! (Not including the rise and bake time) I usually make it on the weekend, and then again around Wednesday or Thursday each week. Whenever I make it, I incorporate it into our dinner that night. Usually making 3 or 4  loaves of bread and 1 pan of rolls- for dinner. You see if you don’t do that, you’ll end up eating all of it the first night, right!!! No one can resist hot, fresh, homemade bread- especially with melted butter!!! 💖 So here’s the recipe, I know you’re all dying to have!  This should make about 5 loaves of bread, or a mix of bread and rolls  6 cu

I am JUMPING OFF THE SHIP!!! So to speak...

What does that mean!??! What ship are you jumping from? Where are you jumping to? How are you planning on jumping?? Well let me tell you.... I am jumping into the great deep, dark and "unknown" world, I am planning on jumping Titanic style, Spread Eagle that is!!! No seriously folks, I have decided that for our upcoming curriculum, we are going to jump into the area of {dare I even say it??} Traditional Christian TEXTBOOKS!!!! {I can hear you all moan, and groan and say OH NO!!!!} Yes TEXTBOOK, tends to be a "bad" word in the homeschool world. It's one of those 3-letter words, okay so it's actually an Eight-letter word. I am not sure why TEXTBOOKS have such a bad name to homeschoolers. Actually I do, it has to do with the dumbing down of America. It has to do with short tidbits of information crammed into a lesson, bits and pieces of history... never knowing the whole thing. HOWEVER, you must also admit, that there are NOW so many choices in TEXTBO

Memorizing Multiplication for the year....

This year I have decided to focus on our multiplication facts.  My 10th, 7th, and 6th graders will be reviewing them, While my 4th, 2nd and 1st graders will be learning them. My younger 2 boys, really enjoy memorizing things, ANYTHING... so why not get this stuck in their heads, now? If they learn them, great if not, it will be knowledge they will use later when they do learn them.  I am made a binder for the younger 3.  I printed one sheet of each of the times tables,  here . These are in page protectors, and they will fill them out each day, using a dry erase marker. We will work on one table a week, moving 1-12 and then starting over again. If they get to knowing the facts really well, I'll switch them to a timed drill.  We will also learn a nursery rhyme skip counting song, from  planing playtime.   I am also hoping to add some fun games that I may find. I also downloaded  these . I used the 1-12 tables. I made 1 with the rainbow table, and 1 of the b